Rich and Tender Chicken Paprikaš


One of my favorite Czech dishes is chicken paprikaš.  My grandmother didn't make it often, so my best memories of it are actually from an Austro-Hungarian restaurant (remember Czechoslovakia was part of Austria-Hungary until WWI) my grandparents would take me to on Rt. 28 in the Catskills, called Margo's.  They made this dish accompanied by the fluffiest spaetzle.  After dinner, while my grandmother would gossip with her friends, my grandfather would take me on a walk through Margo's garden, where they grew all their herbs and vegetables, right at dusk.  I will eternally associate the smell of cucumber plants with those walks, together with the smell of my grandfather smoking cigarettes of course.  RIP my grandfather Adolph Malish, the most wonderful and loving if not very outspoken grandfather, and also RIP Margo's, which has not survived the passing of its Eastern European clientele.  You can still pass it on your way through Shandaken, NY.

Here's what you need:
2-3 tbsp butter
1 small onion, minced
salt and pepper
various pieces of dark chicken meat (4 thighs, 4 drumsticks=feeds 4)
Hungarian sweet paprika (we like Szeged)
3 tbsp sour cream
1-2 tbsp flour
lemon
boiling hot water
white rice or spaetzle

Start by melting at least 2-3 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until rosy or translucent (my family likes to say rosy).
Add a heaping teaspoon paprika and cook for one minute.
Salt and pepper your chicken on one side and lay it spiced-side down in the pan.
Salt and pepper the other side while it cooks.  Cook the chicken for about an hour, flipping often (every 5-7 minutes).  Separately, boil water in your kettle in case the chicken gets dry.
When the meat is falling off the bone, take it out of the pan.

In a small bowl, whip together three generous spoonfuls of sour cream with 1.5 tbsp flour and a bit of your hot water.
Add it to the pan juices spoon by spoon.  Be sure to cook it thoroughly, otherwise you will taste the uncooked flour.


Squeeze in a teaspoon of lemon juice and add a little salt to taste.  Add the chicken back to your pot and you're done!  Serve it over rice or spaetzle.

Note: The hubby and I are going to try this with a low-fat alternative, swapping yogurt for the sour cream plus a little spicy paprika and get back to you on how it works out!

Comments

Popular Posts